Special Mom Award 2018
On May 14, 2017 (Mother’s Day), many of you joined us in honoring 15 deserving mothers of intellectually challenged children, at a special awards ceremony that commemorated our 15th year of service.
In our work with such children, we are constantly reminded of the divine role of parents – especially mothers, in the healthy upbringing and development of their children. A mother’s role is truly precious, and more especially in the life of a defenceless, intellectually challenged child.
Applications for the 2018 Special Mom Award are now open as we commence our search once again for 15 new deserving mothers, particularly those left to fend for themselves and their intellectually challenged children. Such mothers truly deserve our support and respect but they are often misunderstood, discriminated against and judged.
The 15 finalists will be given a cash prize of INR 15000/- each, special gifts and recognitions, and access to a lifetime of free special services – unmatched in the NGO sector till date.
More details on how we plan to honor them on Mother’s Day (May 13, 2018) will be updated soon. In the meanwhile, here’s a recap of our 2017 Special Mom Award ceremony. We hope you are inspired to join in this worthy cause.
Watch this space for more!
- Mothers of MR/intellectually challenged children
- The MR child must be at least 10 years’ old and above
- The child must be in the direct care of the mother
- Mothers with children in Day Care centers may apply, but entry is not open to those who have put their children in residential homes
- Deserving mothers from rural areas can apply through a nominator who can fill in the Nomination Form on their behalf
December 10, 2017 : Nominations for 2018 are open via our website.
February 10, 2018 : Nominations close and preparations begin for the selection and verification of the 15 finalists.
A Selection Committee will review all applications and shortlist the candidates.
A Verification Authority will verify and authenticate the 15 finalists.
March 5, 2018 : The finalists will be announced on our website together with details on the special award ceremony to be held in their honor.
May 13, 2018 (Mother’s Day) : A special ceremony that recognizes and honors their achievements together with their special children.
They will also receive:
(1) a Certificate of Excellence in Parenting
(2) a cash award of INR 15,000 each
(3) a *Special Lifetime Pass entitling them to free support services from Sri Arunodayam Charitable Trust
How to apply
- Your child’s Birth Certificate
- Your child’s National Identity Card
- Your Ration Card, Voters ID Card, Aadhar Card (Provide at least 2 of these)
- Marriage Certificate or a Letter from your village officer (if available)
- Day Care Center letter (if appropriate)
- Pictures of you and your child
Please do not submit incomplete forms as they will not be considered. For those filing the nomination on behalf of the mother, please ensure that you have all the necessary documents in place before applying.
We can all play a part in changing society for the better! Firstly, let’s put a stop (in our own communities) to the judgement and discrimination that has become such a part of these women’s lives. Next, begin by offering help. For example: try befriending and reaching out to such families in our own community and help them find organizations like Sri Arunodayam who can help them. There’s no telling how our own lives can become enriched with a new sense of purpose as we engage in worthy causes like this!
Let’s remember that money isn’t always the answer. Most often these families just require a reliable and affirming support structure to make a turnaround! If we each do our bit, we can help them and thus begin changing society from within.